Introduction to deploying applications
Deployment packages provide a way to easily deploy applications created with the Thinkwise Platform to different locations, customers or tenants. Deployment packages can be executed using the Thinkwise Deployment Center, either using the graphical user interface (GUI) or the command line interface (CLI). The CLI can also be used together with deployment and release management tools like Octopus Deploy to automate deployments.
It is important to know that:
- All jobs are performed by Indicium. So, the creation of the deployment package will continue even if you close the Software Factory GUI.
- Since all jobs are performed by Indicium, it is possible to automate the entire process.
- All developers can track a job's progress. For example, if one developer starts creating a deployment package, another developer can see this in their Deployment package screen. This behavior extends to the validation- and unit test tabs in various modelers, and to the Validation and Unit test screens that can be opened directly from the menu.
Create a deployment package
You can create a deployment package for a project version in the Deployment package screen. This can be automated via the Indicium API. See Automate the creation of a deployment package.
The file storage location for this process needs to be configured in IAM: menu Authorization > Applications. For more information, see Configure the file storage location.
To create a deployment package:
menu Deployment > Deployment package > tab Deployment package
Click the Create deployment package task .
Select an Upgrade method. See Generation method.
To verify your model while creating the deployment package, make sure that the option Verify synchronization is checked.
In field Note, you can add the reason for creating the deployment package. The reason is also visible in the History tab.
Press Execute. This will:
- Generate the project version definition.
- Validate the project version definition.
- Generate the project version code for the full install and the full/smart upgrade.
- The upgrade will be generated full or smart depending on the choice made in the Upgrade method field.
- Generate the synchronization script for IAM.
- Generate the manifest for the Thinkwise Deployment Center.
After a successful run, all deployment package files are written to the configured file storage location. A field containing the exact location appears on the screen. You can navigate to this folder .
Please note that creating a deployment package can take a while.
Creating a deployment package
Automate the creation of a deployment package
See Automate deployment.
Post synchronization code
menu Deployment > Deployment package > tab Post synchronization code
It is possible to add arbitrary SQL code to a deployment package that will be executed after the synchronisation to IAM is finished. The current project_id and project_vrs_id are available as variables, as long as there are no "GO" statements encountered.
This code is different from the post synchronization code in the Synchronization screen.
An example of how to use the Post synchronization code
menu Deployment > Deployment package > tab Deployment package > tab Modules
If a project version contains any modules, a list of available modules will be shown. By checking the modules they can be included or excluded from the deployment package.
The Roles tab shows all roles and any modules they are included in. A checkmark in front of the role indicates if it will be included in the deployment package.
Selected modules for a deployment package
menu Deployment > Deployment package > tab History
The History tab page shows a list of previously created deployment packages.